The Enderis Park community, bounded by Lisbon Avenue on the north, Center Street on the south, 76th Street on the west and 60th Street on the east, represents 1500 diverse households, including single family homes, duplexes and several apartment complexes.
The neighborhood is connected through the Enderis Park Neighborhood Association (EPNA), established in the early 1990s to promote neighborhood stability and a rewarding quality of life for all by empowering neighbors to maintain an attractive, diverse, respectful and safe community.
The beautiful, mostly brick Tudors, English Cottage and Cape Cod homes were constructed mainly in the 1930s and 1940s, with a few homes built in 1950.
Originally called the Gale Crest Park subdivision, the area was established in the late 1920s and was designed to be green, with "artistic, park-type design," "beautiful" boulevards, circular drives, large lots, wide streets, and "park resting grounds."
The Enderis Playfield was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the 1930s as part of the New Deal, and represents the cultural heart of the neighborhood for concerts, our Farmers Market and other activities such as the Easter egg hunt, July 4th celebration, Mulchfest, Harvest Fest and Bloom and Groom plant sale.
Enderis Park was named for Milwaukee educator Dorothy Enderis (1880-1952), a teacher and assistant school superintendent who embraced multiculturalism and was a key figure in MPS Recreation and Adult Education programs. In 2004, the park underwent an improvement project. Neighborhood fund-raising and grants made possible the installation of the "Magic Grove" steel sculpture now featured on our neighborhood signs and in EPNA's logo. The park also features sand volleyball courts, a playground, a wading pool, a softball diamond, tennis courts and soccer nets.
In addition to the Enderis Park Playfield, the neighborhood is home to two smaller green spaces: Triangle Park, a beautiful boulevard at 67th and Emery, and Squirrel Park, a pocket park at 72nd and Hadley.